The price we pay for hydro-electricity in Murihiku/Southland
We understand the importance of renewable energy generation such as hydro-electricity - but do we understand the environmental impacts of such large-scale schemes?
Read David Williams’ article about the effects of the Manapōuri hydro-electricity power scheme on the Waiau River.
- Can we have hydro-electricity and a healthy Waiau River?
- Can some of the water used for hydro be used to restore the river?
- Can a balance be struck between restoring the mauri of the river and the production of renewable energy?
Toitu te marae o Tane
Toitu te marae o Tangaroa
Toitu te Iwi
“When the land and waters are strong, so are the people.”
We are living in uncertain times. Murihiku Regeneration is the coming together of four Papatipu Rūnanga of Murihiku to build a regenerative economy that will support future generations. To achieve this we will use and leverage our principles of kaitiakitanga – through innovation, protecting the environment and effective decision-making.
We are about
- Acknowledging our mana whenua and crown partnership
- Supporting community, education, upskilling, environment and industry
- Training, work force capability development and alignment to industry development
- Creating development opportunities through commercial and community partnerships
- Taking a long-term intergenerational approach
Find out about Governance and Leadership.