Happy New Year!
Murihiku Regeneration are excited to build on the momentum of 2022 by continuing to grow our existing mahi and kickstarting some impressive new projects in 2023!
Southern Ocean - Murihiku ki te Tonga: A new project kickstarting in 2023 with Ngāi Tahu ki Murihiku leading research and monitoring of the ocean from Murihiku to Antarctica for effective protection and management of Te Taiao Moana for the benefit of all!
Check out the inspirational video below: Aerial footage of a parāoa (sperm whale) filmed in Kaikōura and edited by R. Eisert. Adult male parāoa travel to the Antarctic to feed on toothfish. Find out more about the Subantarctic Islands, the Ross Sea Sector and our Research and Monitoring programme.
We are living in uncertain times. Murihiku Regeneration is the coming together of four Papatipu Rūnanga of Murihiku to build a regenerative economy that will support future generations. To achieve this we will use and leverage our principles of kaitiakitanga – through innovation, protecting the environment and effective decision-making.
We are about
- Acknowledging our mana whenua and crown partnership
- Supporting community, education, upskilling, environment and industry
- Training, work force capability development and alignment to industry development
- Creating development opportunities through commercial and community partnerships
- Taking a long-term intergenerational approach
Find out about Governance and Leadership.