Keep up to date with the latest wānanga and hui coming up:
On Wednesday 24 and Thursday 25 November 2021, Murihiku Regeneration hosted its inaugural Science and Innovation Wānanga.
The people of Murihiku have a once in a lifetime opportunity to leverage the closure of Tiwai Smelter and the greening of economic activity more generally, into a regenerative kaupapa. A kaupapa of sustainability and quality of life in a thriving, healthy environment for generations to come. The aim of the wananga was to develop a shared understanding with key stakeholders, of both the context of the Tiwai Aluminium Smelter closure and the opportunities that a post-smelter environment is presenting. See About Us to find out more about the Murihiku Regeneration collective and kaupapa and view the foundation document (PDF, 682.77 kB) from September 2020.
Science and innovation will be the vital drivers of our future success. We know this because science and innovation are pivotal to responding to the challenges we face, including:
- Tiwai Smelter closure, the loss of jobs and the remediation of the site.
- Climate change, environmental decline and sustainability.
- Ensuring we can utilise green energy innovations to decarbonise human activity.
- The pace of technological change and its impact on the future of work.
Missed the event? View on YouTube
View the sessions here on YouTube - thanks to Sono Sounds Systems.
Read the following news articles
‘We want to have a voice’: Ngāi Tahu (Southland Express)
Green hydrogen key part of process (Southland Express)
Have your say!
Feedback and Future Wānanga: Thank you to all those who provided questions, feedback and ideas. We are currently collating all your feedback and will provide a summary and response soon.
You can still provide feedback on our Contact page.
Sponsor and speakers: Our thanks go to:
- Fortescue Future Industries - Event sponsor and speaker (https://ffi.com.au)
- Hyundai New Zealand - providing the Hyundai Nexo that visited all secondary schools in Invercargill (hyundai nexo nz)
- HWR Richardsons - the venue at Transport World (transportworld.co.nz)
- PGG Wrightson - Sponsor and speakers (pggwrightson.co.nz)
- Meridian Energy - Sponsor and speaker (meridianenergy.co.nz)
- Contact Energy - Sponsor and Speaker (contact.co.nz)
- Public Sector: Ministry of Education, Te Puni Kōkiri, Ministry of Social Development and Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
- Hokonui Rūnanga